"Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!"
- Auntie Mame
Finding your own happiness starts and ends with you. Read on to find out how to have more joy in life.
- Listen to the put down: is it something petty, like, "I hate that color on you", or is a rude comment, such as, "You're lazy!"? Petty comments should be brushed off, but rude comments need more attention.
- If you decide it's a rude comment, ask yourself, "Is that true? Am I lazy?" If you know the answer off the top of your head, then brush off the comment (unless its repeated behavior, then you may want to avoid that person, or tell your boss/teacher, if needed).
- If you don't know, then you can either ask a trusted friend if they think the comment is true, or you can ask the person why they made that comment, and to give you examples. A good friend will be constructive and help you as much as they can.
- Get to know who you are and what you want. When you are comfortable in your own skin, loving yourself comes naturally.
- You may need to spend more time alone to get to know yourself. Ask yourself, "What do you want?" What makes you happy?" "What don't you like?" What are you willing to do to please yourself?" Keeping a journal is highly recommended.
- When you know who you are, and what you like, you will begin to attract like-minded people. "Birds of a feather flock together" is NOT just a saying.
- Having like-minded, supportive friends will help you ignore the small stuff.
- Remember, it all starts with you getting to know yourself and liking yourself. Until you do that, don't be surprised if few people like you.
- Good luck on your journey to joy!
- There are people who are just plain mean spirited. They tend to be jealous of kind hearted, friendly, and/or happy people. Stay away from them as much as possible.